Peppermint Oil Uses and Benefits
The peppermint plant is a versatile perennial herb that has been cherished since ancient times. The plant’s first recorded appearance dates back to 1000 BC when dried peppermint leaves were found entombed in ancient Egyptian pyramids.1 Throughout human history, this herb has been valued as a multi-purpose plant and an essential oil whose components are now used by cosmetic, culinary, and health industries around the world. When you use it internally, Peppermint oil is also well known for its ability to help alleviate occasional upset stomach and promote healthy respiratory function.* With so many facets and uses, it is no surprise that Peppermint essential oil continues to be one of doTERRA’s best-selling and highly-favored essential oils.
Peppermint Oil Uses and Benefits
- Instead of reaching for artificially flavored gum or candy when you need to freshen your breath, look to Peppermint oil to do the job. Mix a drop of Peppermint oil with a drop of Lemon essential oil in water, take a sip, and swirl it around in your mouth for a healthy, refreshing mouth rinse. The most beneficial ingredient in this mouth rinse is the menthol, a component found in Peppermint. Menthol has been used for centuries for its ability to cleanse and freshen. When you use a drop of Peppermint oil in your mouth rinse, the menthol is what gives it a fresh and minty kick. This powerful and fresh element is why Peppermint is found in many oral health products today. When using this Peppermint mouth rinse, you will experience a pleasurable, cooling feeling and you will walk away confident, knowing that your breath smells just as good as it feels.
- Peppermint oil is a culinary wonder and has been used to add a fresh boost to meals in kitchens all across the world. However, Peppermint is not just limited to cooked dishes; it also makes a great addition to any smoothie. Try adding one to two drops of Peppermint essential oil to your favorite smoothie recipe for a burst of minty flavor. By adding the freshness of Peppermint oil to your morning smoothie, you can start your day feeling more refreshed than ever.
Peppermint oil also turns plain water into a cooling and refreshing treat. When the summer heat seems to overwhelm you, add one drop of Peppermint with a cut fruit like strawberries or limes for a deliciously infused water. Peppermint oil makes a healthy addition to any drink because it helps promote healthy respiratory function and clear breathing, and by adding doTERRA Peppermint oil to something as simple as the water you drink, you encourage healthy respiratory function in your body* while simultaneously changing up the flavor to your drinks.
- Peppermint can be used aromatically to enliven the senses and promote a feeling of energy. This powerful oil can be extremely beneficial on its own, but when you add the right combination of essential oils to Peppermint, the synergy of the combination of oils leads to even more benefits. For example, try placing one drop of Peppermint oil in the palm of your hand, add one drop of Wild Orange oil and one drop of Frankincense oil, and inhale by cupping your hands over your nose. This simple aromatic recipe is perfect for a mid-day pick-me-up.
Including Wild Orange and Frankincense in this Peppermint mixture adds to its aromatic benefits. Wild Orange carries a sweet and fresh citrus smell that is used to uplift the mind and body, while Frankincense is valued for its ability to promote feelings of relaxation. By combining these two essential oils with Peppermint’s soothing properties, the blend becomes an aromatic powerhouse that will have you feeling relaxed and energized for the tasks ahead.
- Try this do-it-yourself Whipped Peppermint Foot Lotion and show your feet how much you appreciate them. This is a simple and light lotion that includes natural ingredients like Peppermint and Tea Tree (Melaleuca) essential oils. After a long day, this DIY lotion can help you unwind and give your feet the delightful cooling sensation they need. For best results, try applying this lotion generously to your feet and then putting socks on before you go to bed. Whipped Peppermint Foot Lotion will not only leave your feet smelling fresh, it will transform your sandpaper heels into a silky dream.
If you are looking for a way to share the benefits of Peppermint oil with your friends, try making and sharing this DIY Candy Cane Sugar Scrub. This festive sugar scrub helps exfoliate and moisturize the hands, feet, and body, and it makes for a great seasonal gift. Not only will the scrub produce soft and smooth skin, but its Peppermint oil base will provide a soothing sensation wherever it is applied.
- Being outside in the sun can be a great way to uplift your mood, but sometimes too much sun exposure can quickly end your fun. Try this homemade After Sun Soothing Spray to maintain healthy-looking skin after too much sun. This soothing spray is filled with three powerful essential oils that calm and soothe irritated skin. One of the primary oils used in this spray is Peppermint. Peppermint is a perfect after-sun essential oil for the same reason it is useful for oral care--its high content of Menthol. Tea Tree (Melaleuca) essential oil and Lavender essential oil are two additional ingredients in this DIY that will improve the appearance of skin.
- Looking for a long-lasting way to smell the sweet and minty aroma of Peppermint oil? Use this simple yet invigorating diffuser blend and enjoy this fresh aroma in your home, office, or classroom. To make this blend, combine two drops of Peppermint, three drops of Grapefruit, and two drops of Sandalwood into a diffuser. Using Peppermint essential oil in your diffuser will produce a cooling, invigorating vapor. Additionally, the grounding and mood-enhancing properties of Sandalwood and the uplifting benefits of Grapefruit will work well with the soothing and relaxing effects of Peppermint to produce an energizing and calming aroma that all will enjoy.
- Peppermint oil makes a great addition to many dishes, especially desserts. Try using this Black Bean Brownie recipe with Peppermint oil and put a nutritious and delicious spin on the traditional chocolate brownie. At first, making a sweet treat with black beans may seem strange or even off-putting, but don’t worry, black beans have a very mild flavor and are extremely rich, creamy, and full of protein. Once you venture out with this recipe, you won’t want to go back. To create an extra pop of flavor, add a couple drops of Peppermint essential oil for a delightful and refreshing flavor.
- The soothing components found in Peppermint oil make it a desirable oil for massages. Try adding Peppermint to your massage experiences and enjoy the pleasurable cooling feelings it brings to your skin while immersing yourself in its sweet and relaxing aroma. A great massage companion to Peppermint is Lavender. This combination will produce optimal soothing feelings that will add to any massage. You can also try adding Peppermint essential oil to your shampoo or conditioner for a stimulating hair massage that will provide the pampering your scalp deserves.
- If you're finding more than your share of spiders or bugs in your home, Peppermint oil provides a perfect solution to ward off those creepy crawlers. Many bugs and spiders dislike the potent smell of Peppermint. Consequently, Peppermint oil is used as a home remedy to repel bugs naturally. Try placing one to three drops of essential oil on a cotton ball and position them in the corners of your bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, laundry room, or wherever you think these unwanted guests might be.
- If you or someone you know has trouble staying awake during the day and would like a natural method to feel alert, Peppermint oil used topically or aromatically can help. Because of the invigorating and cooling effects that pure Peppermint oil produces when it comes in contact with skin, Peppermint is an ideal oil for staying attentive and aware. In order to create this extra boost, place 1–2 drops of Peppermint on your finger tips and then place your fingertips on your temples and rub. This will help give you the natural sense of alertness you desire when you need it most.